Temple, NH Open Forum Forum Index Temple, NH Open Forum
A Place for Temple Residents to Speak Their Minds (Within Reason)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

School Taxes are too High

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Temple, NH Open Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are School Taxes Too High?
yes
75%
 75%  [ 3 ]
no
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 4

templenh
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2024 8:27 am    Post subject: School Taxes are too High Reply with quote

The subject of school taxes was brought up in the Town Meeting Forum. I agree with CCK who said:
Quote:
I too am concerned about taxes but am also very aware that the vast majority of our tax bill is due to the high cost of education –specifically the Conval School. Maybe we as taxpayers we need to pay more attention to that!
How do you feel about school taxes? Are they too high? Does the results of an education at ConVal justify the cost to tax payers?
JenW

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2024 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too high and now going up, if the new education funding bill passes. Did anyone read about that yet? What do you think?

On a humorous note, someone I know was complaining about paying for driveway plowing with our taxes. He has a short driveway and doesn't mind doing it himself. He said that it is really only a good thing for people like me who have excessively long driveways (hey, I didn't build the house all the way up there, blame my dad for wanting that incredible view! Very Happy ).

I don't have any kids yet, so I told him that I would be happy to pay to plow my own driveway if he wanted to pay for his own kids to go to school... I never heard him complain about driveway plowing again. Wink Very Happy
templenh
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2024 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I told him that I would be happy to pay to plow my own driveway if he wanted to pay for his own kids to go to school...

HAHA! This is something that's been debated in the media. There are a significant number of people who feel that those who do not have children of school age should not have to pay to send other people's kids to school. I particularly think that older people who have adult children should be exempt from school taxes. I've also heard the other side of the argument that says that providing a good education to children benefits the community as a whole which I can agree with. However when more than 50% of property (high) taxes are going to the school system, then the school system should show an above average GPA, graduation rate and higher education enrollments (not that I am saying that ConVal doesn't).
JenW

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2024 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you know that 105 children are home-schooled in the ConVal District? The only other districts in the State with higher numbers are Manchester and Mascenic. I hope that says something good about the parents in the district and not something bad about the school. I graduated.... a WHILE ago from ConVal so I don't have any current reference for the quality of the school. I have heard that Temple Elementary is wonderful, though.

I looked up the District Assessments and it is very interesting reading. Here is the link, so that everyone can form their own opinion: ConVal Assessment 2024-2004

Graduate Report 2024-2003

There are some interesting things on the site but, of course, statistics are a two-edged sword. You can use them to prove either side of an arguement... which might be why I like them so much! Wink
keyinnh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2024 8:34 am    Post subject: High Taxes Reply with quote

No matter where you live you're going to pay taxes. Part of those taxes WILL go to things you may not necessarily need or use and it's unfair to want to pick and choose which item you want to pay for. I used to live in a condo...I had to pay town taxes. Part of those taxes went to plowing...ofcourse living in a condo i had to pay a condo fee which helped pay for plowing the condo community. What I'm saying is I had to pay for plowing twice...once for the public road and once for the area I lived in. Bottom line is I chose to live there and was aware of the fees and taxes. If you want cheaper taxes move somewhere else. You may not have kids but other people do and naturally they want their kids to go to a good school. My wife is a teacher and it's absolutely mind boggling on how people who don't have kids could care less. It's embarrasing. Don't you want the kids of your community to have good opportunites? Don't you want kids in your community to grow up well educated?

Now I'm not saying I enjoy paying taxes - but they help pay for things that are necessary for all people in different ways.
JenW

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2024 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: High Taxes Reply with quote

keyinnh wrote:
No matter where you live you're going to pay taxes. Part of those taxes WILL go to things you may not necessarily need or use and it's unfair to want to pick and choose which item you want to pay for. I used to live in a condo...I had to pay town taxes. Part of those taxes went to plowing...ofcourse living in a condo i had to pay a condo fee which helped pay for plowing the condo community. What I'm saying is I had to pay for plowing twice...once for the public road and once for the area I lived in.

OK, first of all... I am assuming you used the public roads to go to and from wherever, so that isn't exactly the same thing as paying for something twice. If you lived in a condo unit in Temple & paid condo fees to have the driveway and your parking space plowed and also paid taxes for the town to plow the same area then I would agree with you, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Second, no one was saying that we didn't want to pay taxes for the school or for any of the other necessary expenditures, we were just engaging in the time-honored tradition of griping about our taxes. I go to Town Meeting and vote in the elections every year, so I feel that I have earned the right to gripe a bit.

We also had a little lighthearted attempt at joking about our taxes (hence my silly little driveway/school story). No one mentioned not paying taxes, we were just talking about ways to make things easier and more fair. Our funding system in this state is broken and in need of a fix, only none of us can agree on what that fix should be.

It is very easy to look at words someone else typed and have them hit you the wrong way, the Internet is infamous for that sort of misunderstanding. I would just like to suggest that you look back at what this discussion was really about and why we said what we did.
g47

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2024 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will admit that I don’t follow where every last dollar I pay in taxes goes but I find the question “are taxes too high” somewhat bizarre. Well yes, taxes are too high and in fact until the government starts paying me to live in NH they’ll never be low enough. I think the question really is are taxes fair? On a Federal level NH gets a serious kick in the you-know-what by Uncle Sam. NH consistently ranks near dead last when it comes to how much we pay out in taxes versus how much we receive in Federal funding. Last I read for every dollar a NH citizen pays in fed taxes we only get back 67 cents when our friends in Hawaii get back a ~$1.60 for each dollar paid in taxes….hmmm. Check out the other states that get more than they pay in….you should note that these states are not exactly known for the quality of their education systems (note, there’s a point buried there).

As for local taxes in NH, it’s currently the law that NH provide an adequate education for their children (though some extremists would argue with the language of that constitutional law). This means that local and state governments must raise cash to fund and educate the kids. How those taxes are raised are accomplished through a variety of vehicles, but most notably property taxes and NOT income or sales and use taxes.

Because the tax is tied to something subjective like “property”, value can vary from street to street based on who’s doing the looking (ie, the assessing). If you noticed during the last assessment the company that did the assessment said that they wanted to inspect your house to understand the quality of materials and craftsmanship inside. In other words they wanted to tax the rich (yes that’s what it really says otherwise they would have said that they wanted to see “how poorly constructed the house is”). In this regard how schools are funded in Temple is not fair because taxes would appear to be based on subjectivity (someone’s opinion of “quality” and “craftsmanship” which may contain a prejudice and for which there is no universal agreement what these two things really mean). If taxes were instead based on square footage, number of acres, number of bedrooms, number of garages, total outbuildings / size, and total water frontage (things that can be tangibly measured), then it would be accurate and fair no matter where you went in town. But until that happens I can’t say that taxes are fair and of course taxes are always too high.

For “the rich” NH is a nice state to live during your working years. NH is one of the few places in America where someone making an average salary can pay a huge-huge percentage of their income in state/local taxes versus someone making good money who may pay a fractionally insignificant percentage of their income in state/local taxes.

What was the question again?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Temple, NH Open Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: