Meeting held on the 9th of December 2003


Board members present: B. Kantner, S. Fiske, Ted Petro


Call to Order by B. Kantner at 7:10 p.m.


Approval of prior minutes:  Move by Fiske to accept the 11/25/03 minutes, as amended, second by Petro and voted in the unanimous affirmative.  Move by Petro to accept the 11/25/03 non-public minutes as written, second by Fiske and voted in the unanimous affirmative.   


Regular Business


  1. Subject:  Reviewed and signed vouchers.                                              Discussion about the well at the “Old School”.  Information will be obtained from Attorney Drescher and verification from the Road Agent as to the status of this well.

Review of the Assessors Agreement for 2004.  Fiske will contact Avitar for an explanation of the increase in cost and a breakdown of work.

Move by Fiske to accept the memo from the Administrative Assistant for procedures for the implementation of GASB 34, second by Petro and voted in the unanimous affirmative.

Signed a memo to the Fire Department regarding the soda and candy machines.

Reviewed the scope of services letter from the auditors, Melanson and Heath.  This will be considered at the 12/23/03 meeting. 

Reviewed and signed a special events application for the Lions Club January 1, 2004 “Fun Run”.

Reviewed letter from the Conservation Commission regarding the “Stone Easement”.  This property is in compliance with the easement.

Reviewed letters from taxpayers regarding the inventory penalties.  Abatements of the penalty will be done for Moylan, M. Quinn, R. Johnson, Ballantine, and Gifford.

Kantner and Fiske attended a School Board meeting regarding the school budget.  Many costs are fixed and cannot be lowered.  Federal and State mandates are increasing the costs.

Discussion of the 12/4/03 meeting with Wilton and Lyndeborough Select Boards regarding the Ambulance.  The three Boards will compile questions for the WLTEMS Board of Directors.                                                                                                       The Board discussed meeting with Jim Rice of Avitar Associates to learn more about the assessing procedures.  Fiske will set up a meeting for




  1. Subject:  (cont.) January 2004.  Kantner will contact NHMA for assessing updates to the “Assessing for Non-assessors” handbook.                    Fiske spoke to the Board about having chairs at the Town Hall appraised.                                                                                         The Board approved Steve Sears to re-install the toilets at the Town Hall.  Rugs will be ordered for the hallway at the Municipal Building.                                                                     


  1. Subject:  Tom Barker of Authentic Construction and Carl Johnson, Realtor, met with the Board to discuss the status of “Grover Road”.  Barker presented information indicating that “Grover Road” had been discontinued in 1864.  Barker informed the Board that if he buys the property, M 02 L 073, that “Grover Road” bisected he is willing to discuss a deeded easement to Doug and Dorothea Guy to maintain access to their property located off Peterborough Road.  Petro informed the Board that Barker had previously met with the Planning Board and the Planning Board had wanted to ensure the Right-of-way to the Leighton/Guy land is maintained.  The Board agreed that based upon the information presented “Grover Road” appears to have been discontinued.  The Board suggested that Barker contact the Guys and discuss this issue with them.


  1. Subject:  Tim Bunk met with the Board to discuss the Tyler property on Cutter Road.  Bunk stated that the concern is health and safety.  It has been more than three years since anyone has resided at the property.  Bunk informed the Board that there are over 20 vehicles, 1000 tires, piles of batteries and trailers full of items from when Tyler’s car repair business was operating.  Bunk also informed the Board that the house is on the verge of collapse.  Bunk asked the Board who would oversee any cleanup of the property.  Fiske thought that any cleanup might have to be overseen by the State of NH-DES because of the types of materials on the property.  It was stated that the property is currently in probate.  The Board requested Bunk to provide a written complaint.  Upon receipt of the written complaint the Board will send a letter to Judith Katherman, Executor, of the estate regarding zoning violations.


  1. Subject:  The Administrative Assistant gave the Board information regarding the new HealthTrust program called Lumenos.  This is a consumer driven health plan.  The Administrative Assistant suggested that the Board follow the costs of this program over the next couple of years to determine if this type of plan would be better for the Town Employees. 





       HELD ON THE 9th DAY OF DECEMBER, 2003



  1. Subject:  The Administrative Assistant informed the Board that an approval for construction of septic was received from the NH-DES for M 02 L 071 owned by Douglas Guy, Jr.  Mr. Guy had been given a building permit for a barn on this property with the stipulation that this building be used for storage only on February 12, 2002.  A letter will be sent to Peter Caswell, Health Officer, requesting that he not inspect this septic system.  The Code Enforcement Officers bills will be researched to determine if any inspections have been done for this building.


  1. Subject:  Move by Kantner to adjourn, second by Petro, meeting adjourned at 10:30 p.m.


Respectfully submitted by Debra Harling, Administrative Assistant.