Meeting held on the 13th of January 2004


Board members present: B. Kantner, S. Fiske, Ted Petro


Call to Order by B. Kantner at 7:15 p.m.


Approval of prior minutes:  Move by Kantner to accept the 12/23/03 minutes, as amended, second by Petro and voted in the unanimous affirmative.  Move by Petro to accept the 12/23/03 non-public minutes as amended, second by Fiske and voted in the unanimous affirmative.   


Regular Business


  1. Subject:  Reviewed and signed vouchers.                                              Reviewed the quote from Steve Sears for repairs to the scale at the Town Common.  Move by Fiske to accept the quote of $770.00 to repair the scales at the Town Common, second by Petro and voted in the unanimous affirmative.

Signed intents to cut for the following:  Dorothea Guy, M 02 Lots 071-2 and 071-3; Copertino, M 02 L 020.

Discussed the NH-DRA workshops for the assessment review process.  The Board of Selectmen and the Administrative Assistant will attend the January 27, 2004 workshop in Peterborough.  The Administrative Assistant will contact the DRA to inform them that four people will attend.

Signed certificate of occupancy for Jon Pearson, M 08 L 028-B.

Signed a building permit application for San-Ken Homes, M 06 L 013-Q12 for a single-family residence.

Signed a permit to demolish for P & H Development, M 08 L 039.

Discussion of the School Board Representative position, M. Connolly has not submitted a letter of resignation at this time.

The Board will review the minutes of the Jan 8, 2004 meeting with the WLTEMS Board of Directors at the Jan. 27, 2004 BOS meeting.  The Administrative Assistant will forward copies to the Wilton and Lyndeborough Board of Selectmen and the WLTEMS Board of Directors.  The next meeting with the WLTEMS Board of Directors will be Feb. 11, 2004 at 7:00 p.m. in Lyndeborough.

Phone research will be discussed at the Jan. 27, 2004 meeting.  Petro will speak to the BAC at their 1/14/04 meeting to determine if the BAC would be interested in researching phone service.

Discussion of the furnace at the Municipal Building.  The Administrative Assistant will get estimates for a new oil burner and programmable thermostat.




  1. Subject:  (cont.) Fiske informed the Board that the agreement regarding the Caney trailer on M 02 L 080 has been signed.  The date for removal was changed to Aug. 1, 2004.                                                                   Discussion about working with the Planning Board on the zoning ordinance.  Petro suggested a letter from Attorney Drescher to the Planning Board about the need to review and update the zoning ordinance.  The Administrative Assistant informed the Board that the Planning Board Chair, Bruce Kullgren, has arranged an informational meeting on Feb. 18, 2004 at which the NH-DES will be present.  The Board determined that a joint meeting regarding the zoning ordinance should wait until after Town Meeting.                                                    Kantner informed the Board that he had sent a letter to Robert Moses regarding the Board’s unanimous support of the proposed warrant article to relinquish any rights the Town has to draw water from the well at 23 Hadley Hwy.                                                                                           Kantner spoke about the personnel changes that have been made and encouraged the other Board members to look at the work logs.  Work logs will be discussed further at the 1/27/04 meeting.                       Fiske informed the Board that, after consultation with the representatives to the Cable Consortium, she had requested the Administrative Assistant not send a letter to Adelphia Cable.                                                         The Board was informed that the old rug in the foyer of the Town Hall has been removed.  The excess rug from the Municipal Bldg. was not installed because it is too small.  Fiske will contact Garnham Flooring to discuss this issue.


  1. Subject:  Wayne and Patricia Edwards appeared before the Board with their Attorney, Attorney Carron. Carron presented a letter to the Board.  Carron then proceeded to speak to the Board regarding the zoning violation complaint the Board has been investigating and the Police Department.  Petro suggested that the Board turn Attorney Carron’s letter over to Town Counsel, Attorney Drescher.  The other Board members agreed.  Fiske asked for a response to the Board’s 12/24/03 letter regarding a site visit.  Mrs. Edwards informed the Board that there would be no site visit.  Fiske suggested that the Board set up an appointment with Town Counsel regarding the Edwards lack of response to the 12/24/03 letter.  Fiske will contact Attorney Drescher.


  1. Subject:  Anne Migliozzi appeared before the Board with a request to keep a Leopard on her property.  Kathy Eldridge of the Greenville Animal Park appeared with Migliozzi.  Migliozzi presented the Board with information regarding her proposal.  It was explained to the Board that NH Fish &
           HELD ON THE 13th DAY OF JANUARY, 2004


  1. Subject:  (cont) Game regulations require permission from the Town before a permit to house an exotic species is granted.  Eldridge explained that the USDA and NH Fish and Game strictly regulate the housing of exotic animals.  Migliozzi explained that she would be working with the Endangered Wildlife Trust.  Migliozzi will train and exhibit the Leopard.  Petro questioned how abutters would react.  Migliozzi said she would speak to her abutters.  The Board asked questions regarding the enclosures and safety issues.  Move by Petro to approve the request by Anne Migliozzi to house a Leopard on her property at 64 Cutter Road, M 05 L 103, conditional upon a letter of approval from the abutters of this property, second by Kantner and voted in the unanimous affirmative.


  1. Subject:  Honey Hastings representing the Friends of Temple Town Hall (FTTH) presented a proposed warrant article to establish an “irrevocable” expendable trust for the Town Hall.  This proposed warrant article listed the Town Treasurer, 1 member of the Board of Selectmen and 1 member of the Historic District Commission as agents.  Hastings asked the Board for comments.  Fiske suggested that the word “irrevocable” be changed to “revocable”.  Discussion ensued regarding the term that should be used.  Walt Birdsall, Town Treasurer, stated he would prefer not to be involved.  Discussion ensued regarding who should be agents for this trust and the Board of Selectmen’s role regarding Town property.  A dollar amount was discussed for the funding of the proposed trust.  No dollar amount was set at this time.  FTTH will be meeting on Sat., 1/17/04.  The Board requested a dollar amount and final wording by 2/4/04.  The Board agreed with the concept of setting up an expendable trust fund.


  1. Subject:  Richard Benotti appeared before the Board to discuss proposed warrant articles.  Benotti updated the Board on the results of water tests done on the town well located in the field off of Rte 45.  Benotti suggested a warrant article in the amount of $4000 to purchase a water softener and perform water tests to deal with the water problems.  Bennoti presented the Board with information on a “radar” trailer for use by the Police Dept.  Benotti requested the Board consider a warrant article for the radar trailer.  The cost is $11,895,however, there is a $3000 traffic counter that is optional.  Benotti stated he thought this option would be useful to both the Police Dept. and Hwy Dept.  Fiske asked Benotti if he would be willing to do a presentation on both articles if the Board puts them on the 2004 warrant.  Benotti answered in the affirmative.  Benotti then spoke to the Board about Town Boards using Friendship Hall, which belongs to the Church.  All use of Friendship Hall should be coordinated with Sandra Benotti of the Congregational Church.
           HELD ON THE 13th DAY OF JANUARY, 2004


  1. Subject:  Discussion of the 1/17/04 Budget Hearing.  The Board agreed that Fiske would present the Budget.  The BAC will be requested to sit at the front with the Board of Selectmen to help answer residents questions.  The process will be reviewed at the 1/27/04 meeting.  Discussion of the staff changes that have been made.  Move by Petro to increase Betsy Perry to $12.36/hr retroactive to 1/1/04, second by Fiske and voted in the unanimous affirmative.  Discussion of new requests for funding in 2004 by the American Red Cross and Contoocook Housing Trust.  The Administrative Assistant will send each organization a letter informing them that the Board of Selectmen does not think the Town will be able to allocate any funds in 2004.  These organizations will be requested to submit requests for the 2005 budget and the Board will consider new requests.


  1. Subject:  Move by Fiske to enter non-public session under RSA 91-A:3, II (a) at 11:00 p.m., second by Kantner and voted in the unanimous affirmative.  Out of non-public session at 12:30 a.m.


  1. Subject:  Move by Fiske to adjourn, second by Petro, meeting adjourned at 12:35 a.m.




Respectfully submitted by Debra Harling, Administrative Assistant.